The hospitality industry is expanding as people are more into traveling and exploring different aspects for fulfilling their recreational needs. They want to enjoy customized services at their favorite destinations. This industry is adopting technologically advanced modes of catering to their diversified clients. Students aiming for a career in this domain can explore various opportunities with a bachelor of tourism and hospitality management. They can pursue a degree as per their available resources and get started in this direction. Here is a list of five career options that can be availed after pursuing a bachelor’s degree in hospitality:
- Concierge: Almost all hotels hire professionals to serve their customers pleasantly. These professionals are equipped with excellent interpersonal skills to communicate with customers and understand their requirements. Luxury hotels might require some experience with great problem-solving skills for managing difficult patrons. They may also work as a casino host, cruise ship attendant, front-of-house manager, guest services supervisor, front desk associate, front desk supervisor, reservationist, hotel clerk, front office attendant, guest relations manager, gaming dealer, guest services associate, and others.
- Event planner: The hospitality industry host different events, conferences, weddings, seminars, and other functions daily. Some experts handle these events by consulting the organizing authorities and providing up-to-date facilities with all the specifications. Some of the related roles include events manager, wedding coordinator, special events manager, executive conference manager, meeting coordinator, executive meeting manager, convention planner, specialist, manager, and general planner.
- Executive chef: This role requires a multitasker to perform all the responsibilities with utmost care and efficiency. The executive chef is responsible for overseeing the operations taking place in the kitchen of restaurants, hotels, and other related industries. They develop menus, procure groceries, and hire the entire staff at managing the kitchen stuff. Other roles include cafe manager, chef, food, and beverage manager, catering manager, sous chef, general cook, kitchen manager, restaurant manager, and pastry chef.
- Housekeeper: The professionals in this role-play a major role in maintaining the hygiene and cleanliness activities at hotels, restaurants, casinos, and other related places. They are in-charge of cleaning rooms, performing laundry, making beds, procuring resources, stocking linens, and hiring the required staff. They have to manage all these things efficiently and by showcasing their excellent organizational skills. Some of the related roles include director of housekeeping, lead housekeeper, director of maintenance, maid, maintenance worker, director of operations, housekeeper, executive housekeeper, maintenance supervisor, housekeeping aide, and housekeeping supervisor.
- Porter: Handling baggage at hotels is their main job responsibility. They are one among those employees that are present at the entrance of every hotel to collect their items of baggage and transfer them to their rooms. Some of the related roles include baggage porter, valet, bell attendant, driver, bellhop, valet parking attendant, bellman, valet attendant, driver, and parking lot attendant.
So, if you are planning for a career in hospitality, there are different roles that you can explore with a bachelor’s degree in hospitality. Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills are a must-have in this industry.