Another director quits Sony’s Uncharted movie

Sony announced back in 2009 that it was going to make a live-action rendering of its widely famous Uncharted video game franchise. Director Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield LaneBlack Mirror) has quit the project. He is the fifth director to join and subsequently leave the film, according to a report from Deadline.

While Trachtenberg may have moved on, Deadline says actor Tom Holland is still on to play a young Nathan Drake in the Uncharted prequel-style film. Sony will be meeting with directors to keep the project going.

The announcement of Sony’s Columbia Pictures to make an Uncharted movie came in the summer of 2009. It was said to be directed by David O. Russell with actors Mark Wahlberg, Robert De Niro, and Joe Pesci as a justice-dealing family of antiquities experts.

Since then, Russell has been succeeded by directors Neil Burger, Seth Gordon, Shawn Levy, and Dan Trachtenberg, and the film has burned through a variety of screenwriters and screenplays. Despite those production bumps, Sony announced a release date for Unchartedearlier this year: The film is supposed to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2020.