Galaxy Note 9 catches fire in woman’s purse reports say
New York Real estate agent Diane Chung has filled a lawsuit which details that a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 spontaneously caught fire inside her purse earlier this month. This is according to a report from the New York Post.
The report explains the womans experience when the device caught fire.
she was using the new handset on Sept. 3 when it suddenly became “extremely hot,”. Chung stopped using the phone and placed it in her purse but soon heard “a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke” pouring from her purse, the newspaper says the lawsuit alleges.
In her lawsuit filed to the Queens Supreme Court, Chung says that she removed the phone by emptying her purse onto an elevator floor, but the fire was only stopped when a passerby picked up the handset with a cloth and placed it into a bucket of water, the newspaper reports.
The incident alleged in Chung’s lawsuit is awakening nightmares of he Galaxy Note 7 Samsung experienced two years ago. In 2016 when the Note 7 devices were catching fires left and right which was caused by a flaw in the note 7 battery.
In a response to the case, DJ Koh, head of Samsung’s mobile business, said last month, according to The Investor that “The battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is safer than ever,” “Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore.”
“Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States,” Samsung said in a statement. “We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter.” he continued
For the Note 9′s sake we hope this is a fluke accident which only happens once in a million chances. That said it may also be relevant to point out that an Apple iPad battery caught fire in an Apple store last month in Amsterdam but that story did not get as much attention as this Note 9 fire incident will maybe because of the Note 7 saga.